RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: OK,I'm sick and tired of hearing of "level playing

To: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: OK,I'm sick and tired of hearing of "level playing field"
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:39:34 -00

> A "level playing field" ain't never gonna happen with over-the-airwaves
> radio (poor English intended).

Which is what makes it so damn much fun!

I can build a better antenna to compensate for my poor QTH.  I can learn a
new trick (SO2R maybe?) to give me an advantage over a less skilled
competitor.  I can train myself to tolerate more "time in the chair" than a
less tenacious competitor.  I can study propagation to make me more
intelligent about my band-changes than a less studious competitor.  I will
improve my receiver (and my transmitter) to improve their performance above
what other competitors get with their "out of the shipping box" rigs. In
other words, I will do everything possible to TILT the playing field to my
advantage.

> It can very easily happen, however, in another venue.
> And, it *will* happen...for those who desire to play only
> on such a field.  The technology is already here, so it's just a matter
of
> time.

Have a nice time there.  I'll stay here with the Radiomen.

73, de Hans, K0HB