Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:43:53 +0200
Well, of course Jose's calculation is just to illustrate the point and you could go much deeper into statistics making huge amount of extra assumptions and scientific calculations. And does not matter if the clone 4 wins by 1 mio or 0,3 mio points:)

It is clear that every station has to design his own IDing strategy according to circumstances and IDing after every QSO is usually not the best idea.

Many of you are looking at this only from your own perspective saying that the DX station wastes your time by not IDing. If a DX station (e.g. Jose) has a big pile up of say 6-7 stations calling then by not IDing in 4-5 QSOs means that he can work the weaker guys of those and by IDing he would waste THEIR time because YOU will be calling on top of them after knowing the call. So being a QRP station for example I would advocate that "let's forbid DX stations with big pile ups to ID more frequently than once per minute, otherwise I never have a chance and my time gets horribly wasted by waiting my chance for ever":)

The truth is that by IDing less than every QSO in big pile-up the whole society's time is saved and more guys can be worked. From utilitarian perspective seems very fair to me and desirable operating practice.

From my perspective CQWW is never a non-ending pile-up. During this short 1
hour opening to US on 10m when I also get spotted and have a massive pile-up it would be incredibly stupid to ID too often. Especially with US stations who understand what short "thanks" or R means and call immidiately.

In the same time with small EU pile up "thanks" just brings silence sometimes:) So to be sure they would understand and be calling I have to say "thanks, QRZ" meaning that I can rather ID and be better off:)

The same way I am sure ending QSO with just callsign causes confusion often. People will be asking for confirmation or calling again.

So after all this thread does not take us anywhere as everyone's opertating practice and habits are different and if the operator does not act rationally to maximize his score in contest it is his concern...or maybe maximum score is not his ambition anyway.

73
tonno
es5tv

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Root" <steve.root@culligan4water.com>