[CQ-Contest] The battle of the Call Signs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The battle of the Call Signs
From: "Jim Cain" <cainjim@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:22:27 -0600
In trying to revive my interest in contesting this fall I loaded CT for DOS
into an old laptop. I felt like CT was running my call sign together when it
sent it on CW, so I reprogrammed my call sign (F3) as K space 1 space T space
N. There's something really important about sending your call sign in the best
way for it to get through. I woke up to this years ago, too many years ago,
listening to Bill Maxson, K4GSU (N4AR), who always sent K4 -- pause -- GSU.
Sent that way just sounded right.

I've always had an urge to try to psych out software instead of letting it
control me and -- surprise -- when I converted the first K-1-T-N log to
Cabrillo it blew up the whole log! The conversion picked up my call sign as
"K," and the rest was a platoon of data fields all marching out of step. I'm
surprised the Robot's mind didn't go, Dave. I can't repeat what it sent back to
me, this being a family reflector.

Jim Cain,

Right Finger finger
Left little finger