RE: [CQ-Contest] SO2R without LPT port Was: RE: SO2R withKENWOOD Radios

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>,"'George Fremin III'" <geoiii@kkn.net>,"'Eric Hilding'" <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] SO2R without LPT port Was: RE: SO2R withKENWOOD Radios +++
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:23:02 -0500
OK, extending the notion one further -- could one use a USB-to-parallel cable (cost, ~$17.00) and supply all the signals currently needed by a standard LPT port SO2R box? All you need to do is control pins 14,16 and 17 for basic SO2R functionality, plus DVK control and so on. Doable?

PS I found some Centronic to DB-25 adaptors on the web, so connectors aren't an issue.

73, Pete N4ZR

At 05:18 PM 1/22/2005, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

> It seems as if this job could be reasonably done with some sort of
> serial-to-bcd converter, appropriately programmed for the Kenwoods,
> followed by the TopTen style decoders.  The trouble with this
> new-generation stuff is that it's really pricey, so far.

The problem is the need to "read" the serial data stream and catch
the proper VFO commands.  That requires a UART in, some intelligence
(PIC or more advanced microprocessor), a UART out and a parallel
driver.

> Another, somewhat related topic.  Ultimately, parallel ports
> are going away too.  Is there any SO2R hardware out there that
> can sense Radio A/B toggles from any source except LPT pin 14?

Not to my knowledge ... I know of one vendor working on a standard
for serial control using USB virtual ports and custom hardware.
Unfortunately, this will take a serial port of the "opposite" sense
of the normal PC port.  The PC port (DTE) has only two controllable
output lines: DTR and RTS ... while the opposite port (DCE) has four
controllable outputs: DSR, CTS, CD, and RI.

> Is there any logging *software* that provides serial A/B switching?

Not to my knowledge.

73,

... Joe, K4IK