RE: [CQ-Contest] SO2R without LPT port Was: RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] SO2R without LPT port Was: RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:14:30 -0500
I guess my question wasn't "Is it currently being done" but rather "is it doable?" N1MM Logger is already USB-capable with most adaptors, for CW as well as radio comms.

At 06:05 PM 1/22/2005, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

> OK, extending the notion one further -- could one use a
> USB-to-parallel cable (cost, ~$17.00) and supply all the
> signals currently needed by a standard LPT port SO2R box?
> All you need to do is control pins 14,16 and 17 for basic
> SO2R functionality, plus DVK control and so on.  Doable?

I don't know ... it depends on the logging software, what the
hardware supports and how well the USB virtual port drivers
are written.

As far as I can tell, most of the logging software is using
direct access to the hardware and that is not compatible with
the USB virtual port drivers.

73,

... Joe, K4IK