RE: [CQ-Contest] A little LoTW gotcha

To: "'Contest reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] A little LoTW gotcha
From: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:11:52 -0600
I was reading this thread and was trying to figure out how I remembered to
renew my certificate back in December.  I looked back and realized that
there was a reminder on the "Logbook User's Home Page" that tipped me off.

"Dec 29, 2004: Make the Back-up of your LoTW Certificates a New Year's
Resolution -- Now that Logbook of the World is well over one year old, many
of us have renewed our certificates. This means that we also should make new
back-ups of these certificates--the .p12 files."

I have nothing but complements about LOTW.  I am no computer genius so I had
a couple of problems getting started. Fortunately the staff was very helpful
in getting me back on track. I wish a few more DX stations would use the
system but there are 63 million QSOs entered into the system, and 2.6
million matched QSLs. I got one of my last 7 countries (TO4WW) confirmed on
LoTW long before I got the card.

I have noticed a dramatic increase in LoTW QSLs since the CQWW CW and Phone
Contests this year. I spend a great deal of time and money QSLing. The
return rate for an SASE is still better than the return rate for LoTW but I
think things area really improving. There may be other factors but according
to my records, I have 10% more QSOs the last 12 months and a decrease of
approximately 30% in cards from the bureau.

73,
Bill, W5VX

All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get.