Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter SSB Contest musings

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter SSB Contest musings
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:01:05 -0500
I think if you ask IR4X or CN2R that they would say the problem with logging
QSOs
that were being made with another Dx station
is a big, big problem.  Why would CN2R ask over and over "are you calling
me?"

Several years ago I was at a Multi Op and the D44 told me "worked before"
when we just got to the band and had only made 2 contacts.
We noticed three other QSOs were listed as NIL or Dupe in the Dx log but not
ours.

I know its a problem with having a few frequencies free of BCI.  They tend
to cluster
depending on which Countries are broadcasting and in which directions.  PJ2T
can beam away from most coming from the East/NE plus USA is louder on
average than
Eu/USA signals.

Trying to work on .5 khz is a fairly new technique.  When CN2R was listening
on 7254 stations were calling DX there and above and below.

I say the only remedy is to quickly say their call without phonetics.  Then
your call once is sharp known phonetics.  The Italian Op sure agrees with
that.

Now tell me what that S58 was saying 2705 and mine.  Where is 2705?  7205
had a strong BC station plus NQ4I was calling CQ there.   Mysteries never
end Eh.

By the way 75 SSB has some of the same problems and there is much less BCI
there.

Dave K4JRB