Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter SSB Contest musings

To: "Richard DiDonna NN3W" <NN3W@prodigy.net>,"CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter SSB Contest musings
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:46:22 -0500

As one of the ops at the PJ2T Multi/2 operations for the
past two ARRL SSB Contests, I spent a lot of time on 40
meters operating split. We made 1665 QSOs on that band
this year.

I run hot and cold on operating on 40 meter phone, and
arrived at Signal Point for the ARRL Phone Contest this
year declaring that I would do anything *except* operate
on 40 meters. My ears were still ringing from the
broadcast inerference in the 2004 contest! I'd much
rather "eat static" for hours on 160 meters at 12
degrees latitude!

Finding a 40m receive frequency is a never-ending game
of bob-and-weave. A good frequency has a short half-life,
as broadcasters and other QRM pops up.

We didn't have a lot of problems with another DX station
selecting the same open spot in which to listen, and
when it happened it was obvious from the timing of
the responses being "out-of-synch" with our transmissions.
I even changed my rhythm of calling to confirm that
situation once. It helps that we are fairly loud in the
USA and Canada, in that those calling us were far less
likely to call "out-of-synch" themselves.

In a few cases where someone else began listening on
the same frequency that I had been using for a while
(more than 15 minutes), I just popped the transmitter
up to the receive frequency and announced that the
frequency was in use, and gave my call. The other
station chose another spot. (The Europeans don't have
the ability to do the same, but you use what the rules
allow!)

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND