Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: "Mike Fatchett, W0MU" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:37:02 -0800
On Mar 28, 2005, at 8:08 PM, Mike Fatchett, W0MU wrote:

> It seems to me that people are relying on "cheap" ham radios for
> emergency
> communications.....If they can afford an expensive boat why in the
> world
> would you skimp on your emergency communications equipment?  Are these
> folks
> cheaper than the average ham???!!!!!
>
> When will NASA start using Ham HT for shuttles?

That happened back around 1983. Members of the Motorola Amateur Radio
Club, located in Plantation, FL, hand built a pair of Motorola MX360
handi talkies specifically for space shuttle operation. Dr. Owen
Garriott, W5LFL, was the first ham to use them in space. I believe
they, or their replacements, have been on every shuttle mission since.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB