Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:17:46 -0500
On Mar 28, 2005, at 9:10 PM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

> Maybe I am being naive, but I don't see any problem with leaving 6 kHz
> free.

Here's the problem -- there's already 250 kHz of HF spectrum that is
100% contest-free. They are the WARC bands - 30, 17 and 12m. There are
also 5 additional 2.8 kHz channels on 60m. The channelised form of 60m
seems perfect for net operation.

Yet, they don't take advantage of these resources. Instead, when
contestors make use of 20m 5-6 weekends a year, it's the contestors
that have to change. Why is it always OUR fault?

The MMSN was on 14.313 for years and years. Then they moved to 14.300.
There's no reason why they can't move again, especially with the
promise of ZERO contest QRM.

And then there's the other problem. Even if we do decide that what the
MMSN does is more important than other amateur activities and carve out
6 kHz for their exclusive use -- where will it stop? Won't every on-air
group want their frequencies excluded from the contest bedlam?

Finally, and I've made this point before, if we already have 250 kHz of
contest-free frequencies on HF -- where's the 250 kHz of contest-ONLY
frequencies? The situation is already unfair, let's not make it any
worse.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901