Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:10:21 EST
After seeing the original post, corresponding with the original poster,
seeing the responses and digesting all of it, I would like to toss in my two
cents.

I don't really give a rat's butt about the pig farmer nets on 75 or the or
the retired model train collector net on 20.  If I get there first it's my
frequency. If they do, it's theirs.  14300 is a different story.

My brother has a sail boat and is a ham who hasn't made a QSO in years.  I
recently hooked up a small Kenwood and ran some wires so he would be able to
communicate on the ham bands.  The only band he wanted to use was 20.  The
reason: he wanted to be able to hook up on 14300 to the net when out in the
Gulf of
Mexico.

Granted, it would be better to use Coast Guard channels for this.  It would
be better to use 14347.  It would be better to use 17 meters.  But, this is
where the net is and although people could move it, many of the casual users
would not be aware of it.

In corresponding with VE3II, I asked if he would be satisfied with 14295
through 14305 as being contest free.  His response was surprising....only 6 kHz
would be sufficient.

If I remember correctly the ARRL specified during the 90s, 28300-28350 as a
contest free zone for the 10 meter contest.  Of course this was abandoned.
Maybe I am being naive, but I don't see any problem with leaving 6 kHz free.
After all, one of the reasons for ham radio being in existence is for emergency
communication, not contesting.  Again, this is only for the MM net, not for the
pig farmers or the model train collectors

Not too long ago an SSB Sprint was canceled because of the heavy load of
emergency traffic from some natural disaster.  I would feel really crappy if
someone was trying to get emergency help and my operation in a contest caused a
loss of life and/or property.  I never venture into the 14300 area for that
reason.

Bill K4XS