Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: ve3ii@zing-net.ca, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:25:01 EST
Several thoughts:

For much of the week, the problem of a boater going to 14300 (absent  the
net) and finding nobody there might be real.  During a phone contest  weekend,
he
is sure to find somebody there.  If it was a real emergency,  most (though
not all) contesters I know would be willing to drop the contest to  help out.
And a contester is likely to have the big station, big signal, and  good ears
that prove helpful during an emergency situation.

I had no idea that 14300 was frequented by unlicensed operators. Operation
by these people would be no more illegal if it were done on 14350.5 USB. In the
 case of a true emergency, I would be willing to operate up there myself, and
 defend my actions afterward.  And if the FCC were actually monitoring, they
might be able to get help there faster than a civilian like me.

Contesters and non-contesters have a much different concept of what
constitutes reasonable QRM.  Contesters consider 2 KHz spacing  good.  NN2NN
apparently found that unacceptable in the case reported  by F5VHJ.

For the information for the contest reflector readings, your QRZ.com  article
was not about keeping 14300 clear for maritime users. It was about  keeping
everything above 3900, 7200, 14300, 21350, and 29600 clear for  non contest
use.  Perhaps the Maritime Net issue is your nose of the  camel trying to get
into the tent?

73  -  Jim   K8MR