Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: "'Rich Gelber'" <k2wr@njdxa.org>,"'Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:07:07 -0500

> Rich Gelber writes:
>
> The essence of the problem is two sentences contained within VE3II's
> message:
>
> "Unlike contesting, what we do on 14.300 is serious, life and
> death work.  We don't collect points, we don't go for the rare ones,
> we save lives."
>
> The message is that what they do is more important than what
> we do.  What bothers me is that, if what they do is more important
> than what we do, why do they do it in the middle of what we do, when
> other spectrum is available?

... and if my life were on the line, I hope it would be a contester
with his three high stack of big yagis and well trained ears trying
to pull through my weak signal and not some easy chair missionary or
pretend sailor with a minibeam at 25' above ground.

NN2NN claims, "if we had a poll of the Ham community at-large of what
is a more important use of 14.300 Mhz, I think we know what the results
would be."

... if that was a poll of amateurs active on HF modes, I think you,
and other groups like you who expect a reserved frequency, would lose
by a wide margin.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK