Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Forum Rooms for DX/Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Forum Rooms for DX/Contesting
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:05:24 EDT
I guess one's perspective is highly dependent on whether one drives to Dayton
or flies.  And also perhaps whether one has a room at the Crowne Plaza or
not.

This is the one weekend of the year that we 8's have the geographical
advantage. For me it's about a 3.5 hour drive to Dayton.  And I quit trying to
stay
at the Crowne Plaza a few years back after the fiasco when they sold out all
the rooms in less than an hour. Life is too short to have to grovel for a hotel
room.

If you fly and can't take back much of anything (now more than just a
size/weight issue, but what hassle TSA will give you with some of the stuff one
can
find at Dayton!), the K1AR approach makes sense.  But if you want to see all
that is for sale in the flea market and what the inside dealers have to offer
(and buy some of it!), lots of luck in getting it all done in one day.  And if
it rains on Friday but not on Saturday, and you'll never see anything outside.

The great thing about the old (big) rooms at HARA was that one could duck out
from a boring presentation (for me, the story of how ****** spent thousands
of bucks going to the Buttfuck Islands for CQWW) but still get back for the
truly interesting stuff (like N6AA's insights into contesting).  That won't be
possible downtown.

I agree that the Crowne Plaza will have much better forum accomodations than
HARA's Room 4.  But I hope DARA will get the big on site forum area back for
2006. Perhaps this move in 2005 will help DARA get their priorities straight.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

p.s.  From this driver's perspective, the worst thing about HARA is the
parking, particularly if it rains!