Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <K3BU@aol.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties
From: "Andrew Faber" <andrew.faber@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:49:22 -0700
Mike,
 Thanks for your analysis.  Though reasonable minds may differ, I think we
want to encourage, not discourage, reasonable guesswork.  After all, these
aren't the SATs.  While these are contests, they are about communication.
We want to encourage weak stations to get on the air and join in.  When I'm
at P49Y and it's very tough to make out weak EUs on, say, 40 SSB, I want to
try as best I can to move the pileup along and not have to wave off all the
weak ones until the occasional S9 signal can be logged. I want to encourage
a guy with an indoor dipole to make a call (and, reprising an earlier
thread, if he sends me  a QSL and it looks like I mistook the call, I'll
send him a card anyway).
  In your scenario, I would think a 1 QSO penalty would be appropriate.
Then the expected value of the QSO would be exactly zero, so you would be
encouraged to guess if you think you have better than a 50% chance of
getting the call correct, but not when you simply had no idea which one you
heard.
  73, andy, ae6y