Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton and the forum issues

To: "Scott Robbins" <w4pa@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton and the forum issues
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 03:08:07 +0100
The Hamvention should consider Louisville, KY. The Kentucky Fair and
Exposition Center offers something like 5 million square feet of  sparkling
clean exposition area, meeting rooms, banquet facilities and parking for
something like 25,000 vehicles less than a mile from Louisville
International Airport.

KFEC is home to the Mid America Truck show (the Dayton Hamvention of
industry trade shows...I engineered a remote broadcast for Sirius Satellite
radio there this Spring), the North American Livestock Exposition and the
Louisville Cardinal basketball team.

A little 'ol ham radio convention for 25,000 HT jockies? a drop in the
bucket...you could schedule Hamvention here in one corner of the South Wing
and have plenty of room left for Billy Bob's Gun & Knife show, Aunt Bee's
Quilting convention and the AKC All breed dog show on the same weekend and
have room for a Trekkie convention.

Of course the major challenge would be having the Hamvention organizing
committees pulling together an event from a distance.

Honestly, the facilities at KFEC put HARA to shame, hell the local Greyhound
bus terminal puts HARA to shame.

Criteria should be: midwest region location, accessible by air, close
proximity to major interstates and reasonably vital, active metropolitan
area with some alternate destinations, decent restaurants and attractions.
KFEC is about 5 miles from Churchill Downs, there's a triple A ball park
downtown, etc, etc and a Waffle House within 3 miles.

Will it happen? Naaaahhhh.

Just my 2 cents worth.

73,

Mark, K9GX