Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton and the forum issues

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton and the forum issues
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 09 Jun 2005 08:06:59 -0500
On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 21:08, Mark Steven Williams wrote:
> Of course the major challenge would be having the Hamvention organizing
> committees pulling together an event from a distance.

This is the thing.  Hamvention is in Dayton because it's put on by the
*DAYTON* Amateur Radio Association.

One can only imagine how much time - and money - this organization's
members must put in to run a show this big.  In their own backyard.
Where when they need to ask a question, hire a vendor, get a permit,
etc...  the people they need to contact are a local phone call/visit
away.

As attractive as Louisville may be, it's a 5-hour round trip from
Dayton.  I would be really, really surprised if DARA could scare up many
members interested in making this trip several times during the other
362 days to arrange a Kentucky Hamvention.

(and mind you, a Hamvention in Louisville would shave 5 hours off my
round trip!)

If there is to be a Hamvention in Louisville, one or more Louisville
radio clubs is going to have to run it.  Don't hold your breath.

(you can safely substitute any other city except Dayton for "Louisville"
in the above rant)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66