Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up
From: Bob Naumann <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:03:23 -0500 (CDT)
I am not sure why I'm devoting so much time and thought to this, but I think
the fears of negative impact to business are not really valid, especially
pointing at the forums being moved as the driver for the downturn in business.

I have been going to Dayton since 1980 nearly every year - and it *has* gotten
worse.  Much worse.  All of the blame for that falls at the feet of the DARA
management.

The downturn started when they moved it to May.  It rains a lot in May.  More
than it ever did in April.  I recall a couple of occasions where it was very
cold and I also recall sunny temps in 80's at Dayton when it was in April - but
no where near as much rain.

Why does the flea market not open at 6 AM any more?  Another bad change.  I
recall walking around shopping in the flea market with a hot cup of coffee
while snow flurries were falling.  Now, that's Dayton!

What happened to running buses to all the major hotels?  What genius thought it
would be good to stop that service?  Another major mistake.

What about the internet?  Has that changed Dayton?  You bet.

What about the older demographic of "us" big spenders that the vendors are all
worried about losing?  This has a big impact.

One thing, most of us already have everything we need, or we don't wait until
Dayton to get it.  No one flies into Dayton and wants to carry home a boat
anchor any more.  Or a new radio either.  Nevermind the hassle of baggage
analysis you have to endure with an electronic device in your carry-on bag.

K4IK said:
>> No, this is an acceleration of the decline of Hamvention that
has been going on for the past 10 years or so.  <<

We're on the same page here, although I think the decline has been going on
longer.

>N5NJ said: After all, we're only 4 or 5% of the total Hamvention  population,
>so what's the problem?

(I said that tongue firmly in cheek - de N5NJ)

K4IK Said:
>>Read K7JA and N1IK's postings and try to understand.

I do understand, but what I understand doesn't matter.  The question is, do the
powers that be at DARA understand.

Rather than criticizing the efforts being made to improve things for attendees,
the vendors who see these changes as harmful, ought to be beating up the DARA
folks and get them to change what they're doing so these off-site activities
would not be necessary.

73,
Bob N5NJ
__