Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up
From: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:54:05 GMT
This topic is getting a bit long, but probably to the point for contesters.
Hamvention as it has been referred to recently (dropping the Dayton) seems
to have been a happy accident.  The center of bunches of military surplus.
Within a day's driving distance of a great many of the US ham population,
etc.  Combine a great flea market with manufacturers using it as the big
product announcement center and people from all over come.

The flea mkt is a shadow of its former self:  e-bay, no meaningful military
surplus, no domestic production to provide surplus in any form, and fewer
builders.  You end up with lots of guys buying space to park and not sell,
old Motorola stuff and the good stuff widely spread out (although some of
the VHF guys are bunching lots!)

Product manufacturers advertise easily now.  Those of us who fly don't want
to carry rigs thru airport security and scarcely dare to check it.  I look
and have shipped.  A worthful gathering, but could be anywhere.

The non-contest, non-DX forums really have slipped and better talks need to
be sought or forgotten.

It was really nice to sit at the contesting forum at a clean table,
airconditioned, a cool drink, reasonable audio and just enjoy.  No QRM from
the adjacent curtain.

The League did a nice job, but we all knew that stuff.  Preaching to the
choir.

I'm an anesthesiologist and faithfull attend the Am Soc of
Anesthesiologist's mtg each October somewhere in the US.  Some of the
Hamvention crew should attend it or some similar mtg and see how they are
put on.

One problem:  I suspect that HARA is cheap space and you aren't selling
$40,000 anesthesia machines or medical drugs at $200 a pop.

Would hate to lose the 25 years of tradition I've developed, but could be
better.

N0UU