Re: [CQ-Contest] "Everyone uses CT"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Everyone uses CT"
From: Gordon LaPoint <n1mgo@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:26:43 -0400
I use WriteLog, but I do mostly RTTY contesting and CT does not do RTTY.
I checked out N1MM about a year ago, was not stable enough then, may be
now.
I have run several Multi ops for rtty contests, and WL networks just
fine, using a combination of Win98, Win2k and WinXP computers.
The big problem with WL is trying to switch a setup from RTTY to CW or
phone, major problem!!!!  The best way I have found is to keep separate
.ini files, one for cw and a different one for rtty and switch them as
needed, which is not good for situations like Field Day, much too
awkward for the average user to use when switching modes!!  For a small
FD effort ( we ran 3A this year) we can not have separate setups for
every band/mode combination.

How is N1MM when switching a station from RTTY to CW during the same
contest???????

I used WF1B for rtty, with a KAM, for years.  The mtty engine with a
good sound card is *MUCH* better at decoding, and you can run SO2R with
a single computer, running WinXP, and run several different decoders on
the same audio stream, at the same time, but only on WinXP, and maybe
W2K.  This allows normal and flutter filters on the same signal, and yes
even different engines, like MixW decoding along with truetty and mtty
all at the same time from the same sound card, DON'T TRY THAT with DOS
or Win98!!!

Yes, linux is possible, but I have not seen a good contest logger there
yet, and don't have the time to write one.

An no I will not go back to DOS, I like the multitasking and networking
with Ethernet too much, the networking via serial ports is for the birds
with the new laptops that don't have built in serial ports.

Gordon - N1MGO   avid RTTY contester and sometimes cw contester.
--
Gordon - N1MGO
n1mgo@arrl.net