Re: [CQ-Contest] CT is King - Everyone uses CT etc.

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CT is King - Everyone uses CT etc.
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <W5OV@W5OV.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 06:14:30 -0500
My dear brethren (and the all too few "sistren"):

I would like to suggest that no one should comment further on this subject
unless they actually operated a DX contest as a winning multi-multi (or
another serious competitive entry) with paper logs.

One cannot imagine how "impactful" computer logging really is without
experiencing the "joy" of all-paper logging: hundreds of illegible log
sheets, dozens of very creatively designed dupe sheets with hundreds or even
thousands of suffixes scribbled on them - sometimes circled or underlined
one or more times, and numerous sheets of home-grown, paper-based multiplier
tracking methods, etc., etc.

Computer logging is (was) all about eliminating the paper from contesting.
All this other stuff is really cool, but the reason it is so cool is because
it changed how we did all that mundane stuff described in the previous
paragraph.

I recall the first time I ran CT on a borrowed Compaq "luggable" PC during a
DX contest.  I knew immediately that I would never use paper to log again.

WC1M says: "CT deserves special acclaim because it was a visionary
accomplishment for its day. CT paved the way for all the other programs by
establishing the core user interface and features required for logging."

Agreed.

K1EA's vision for CT focused on making the logging process automated and
simple.  The "model" used was the original paper logging process.  NA added
support for other contests and later added unique features but was
essentially the same interface as CT, again based on the same "model".

N6TR's "model" is quite different.  Tree's approach (in my opinion) was a
totally "out of the box" perspective, and instead of focusing on just
addressing the automation of traditional paper logging, he considered more
the potential for altering the contest operating process to better leverage
the potential of the technology and certainly had a more "West Coast" flair.
Run mode vs. S&P mode - what the?  CT & NA did the job at hand, TR was more
"gee whiz".  Some found one or the other more attractive and easier to use.
I found that it was impossible for me to operate any of the Sprint contests
(NA or Internet - my fave) the few times I did them without using TR.  It
just "worked".

WC1M also says: "But I'm sure others will think of new features to further
enhance the contesting experience. For that reason, it's always worth some
time to check out the latest version of each program. Besides, it's worth
becoming familiar with all of them -- you never know which one will be in
use at the next multi you join."

Amen.

73,

Bob W5OV