Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Duration

To: Sherman Banks <w4atl@earthlink.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Duration
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:48:41 -0700
At 05:44 AM 7/24/2005, Sherman Banks wrote:
>Why can't radio competitors do the same thing.  Do it for fun,
>fellowship, new countries, and to see if you can beat last year's score.
>   If we can emphasize other things besides winning to the vast majority
>of radio operators we can get people saying "Wow - is the contest
>already over!"

Deep down inside everyone wants to win. Many of us know that won't happen
given our current location/equipment/whatever, but we have that tiny spark
of hope anyway. If we take the route you suggest, there would be no reason
to keep score because nobody would care who was first and the idea of
'competition' would disappear. Contesting would become nothing more than
ragchewing with rules.

Like any other form of competition, one can compete with little hope of
being first and still have fun, but the competition factor must still be there.

Bill, W6WRT