Re: [CQ-Contest] Installing N1MM Logger

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Installing N1MM Logger
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:05:53 -0700
The problem is NOT with my new computer.

FYI, I just got this direct from yet another contester:

 > I've seen the same thing while installing N1MM. Very confusing.

Pete, N4ZR, commented:

 > I have only been helping with user support in N1MM Logger for about a year
 > now, but this is the first time that I have seen this complaint about the
 > installation routine (which was written by Microsoft).

IMHO, most folks simply do not report problems, abandon the attempted
install and confusion, and move on down the line to other choices...or,
luckily muddle their way through.  But once you've been burned and had to
gothrough re-installation of other software that got affected, then you
S-T-O-P.  This, of course, does not help the developers.  At some point,
*someone* has to scream loud enough (that would be me ;-)

 > Another point - when Eric's complaint about installing the software
 > arrived, it was accompanied by a strongly worded "suggestion" that N1MM
 > Logger be significantly revised to support his notion of totally-automated
 > SSB contesting.

It was a multi-tasking email (including a CW related query) that I made an
effort to report the *detailed* problem...the resolution of which would
help others, and had hoped for at least a response.  Since I may be doing
multi-op at at another NCCC station possibly switching to N1MM, I figured I
had better at least familiarize myself with the program.

Umh, my email also contained the following offer:

 > I can help you write text that will ABSOLUTELY enable an IDIOT to
install without any mistakes or confusion.

:-)

Dave, K1TTT, wrote:

 > Watch for big changes in this area soon.  A new basic installation and
 > automatic web update process are being tested that should make the whole
 > process much easier.

That's great news for all.  It is unfortunate that others didn't report the
(maybe XP only?) problem earlier.

Dennis, WB0WAO, wrote:

 > If you think all this is a mess now, just wait until MS Vista is released!

Horrors!  Maybe we need to send Bill Gates a copy of "Now You're Talking",
N1MM, TRlog, WriteLog & others to practice "installing" (and using during
the Alpha & Beta Test cycles :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA