[CQ-Contest] Installing N1MM Logger

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Installing N1MM Logger
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:30:31 -0400
I have only been helping with user support in N1MM Logger for about a year
now, but this is the first time that I have seen this complaint about the
installation routine (which was written by Microsoft).  Maybe that's an
indication that most of our users stop to think about the logic of the
situation, and figure out what they should do, despite Mr. Gates.

We do realize that the current installation procedure is unduly complex and
occasionally causes some problems (in other areas).  As K1TTT said,
entirely new (non-Microsoft) installations are in the works for both the
base program and upgrades, and will be ready for release soon.

Another point - when Eric's complaint about installing the software
arrived, it was accompanied by a strongly worded "suggestion" that N1MM
Logger be significantly revised to support his notion of totally-automated
SSB contesting.  MM already supports voicing of serial numbers and
callsigns, and his is the only request that we have received to go beyond
that.  I don't speak for N1MM on this, but I think there are a number of
much more worthwhile enhancements in the works, and I do not believe that
it would be in the interest of our user community to displace those
projects in favor of this one.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR