[CQ-Contest] Pay to Play

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pay to Play
From: Nzharps@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:57:28 EDT
The current thread related to "What cost and expected benefit to compete?"
reminds me of a response to fiscal problems in many American school systems.
While not necessarily a complete analogy, ask any high school sports coach in
the
USA (yeah, I used to be one), how "pay to play" has affected participation in
their teams. Most will tell you that it has had a dramatically negative
effect on the number of participants.

I'm sure that the same would hold true for contesting. While a few of us
might be willing to pay a nominal fee to "play" in our favorite contests, many,
many more of us would find other things to do on weekends.

73,
Ron, K8NZ