Re: [CQ-Contest] Pay to Play

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pay to Play
From: Art RX9TX <rx9tx@qrz.ru>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:56:16 +0000
 Hello Jim,

 Monday, August 15, 2005 Jim Idelson wrote to CQ-Contest Post:

JI> Amateur sailors, golfers, fisherman, runners, card players, chess players,
JI> Scrabble [tm] players and those involved in so many more competitive
avocations
JI> frequently pay a reasonable fee to cover administration of their events. I'm
JI> sure those fees are an impediment to some, but there are still enough
players
JI> left to keep those events fully subscribed and competitive.

All  of  the  above  you  mention  can't  be  compared  with ham radio
contests,  just  because contesters are spread all over the world, but
for  sure  various WRTC-like championships is exactly the case. And in
case  of championships all necessary fees are paid. After covering the
expenses,  second  reason  for  fees,  I  think,  is  limiting  casual
"just_for_fun" unskilled participation. Serious victory pretender will
pay required fee, casual contester will not.

In  case  of  WRTC  -like  events  your  aim  is  to  limit  unskilled
particiation, while in case of CQWW your aim is to increase it.

--
 73...Art RX9TX      16-Aug-05 15:40 UTC

 http://rx9tx.qrz.ru

 "Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free."