Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency owners

To: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,"CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency owners
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:06:05 +0100
Ken,

I had a similar experience on 14.292. Found a clear spot about 292.5, asked
if the frequency was in use for 30 seconds, heard nothing and started CQing.
About 25 minutes later, Barney Fife showed up and informed me that I was
QRMing the Maritime Mobile (pinhead) Net on 290! I asked why he had not
responded to my "QRL?" earlier and whether he understood the function of the
IF PBT knob on his rig. Of course this ushered forth a torrent of epithets
about the evil scourge of contesting and threats to wreak the wrath of
Charlie down upon my obnoxious 100 watt QRM machine which, apparently was
trashing the band for tens of kilohertz up and down the band.

Not wishing to continue this clever, but useless,  repartee with Officer
Fife, I decided to QSY down the band to the first available clear spot.
Found one at 287.2. Thinking 2.8 kilohertz below the supposed net should
have been sufficient I attempted to resume my NAQP efforts. I should add
here that up to this point I'd heard nothing but some sporadic rag chewing
on 290.

You know the rest. After a few minutes Sheriff Taylor came down and informed
me that I was QRMing the above mentioned net and that if I didn't cease he
and Floyd the Barber were going to beat me severely about the head, take my
boomset, tear up my license and throw me in the Mayberry slammer! I told him
maybe that sort of talk worked with Otis, but it wasn't going to work on me.
QRZ....

So, the bottom line appears thus:

The 20 Meter "Maritime Mobile Nets" apparently have special FCC
authorization to operate exclusively at frequencies every 10 kilohertz
across the band.

This authorization is effective even in the absence of natural disasters,
ie, hurricanes, tsunamis or other threats to maritime navigation and safety.

3 kilohertz wide "guard bands" must be maintained on either side of such
Federally mandated assigned carrier frequencies.

Receiver features like IF passband tuning, IF and audio filters and VFOs are
to be avoided at all costs.

I'm not sure these clowns could copy health and welfare traffic if it were
hand delivered on printed pages with really big letters.

One other memorable "highlight" of this NAQP SSB was the KF6 who gave me a
signal report of "539" after his exchange...so I guess that means he knows
what CW is.

CU on the bands,

73,

MSW