Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Logging When Location is Exchanged

To: CQ-Contest MailList <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Logging When Location is Exchanged
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 05:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
Rich, Mike and Tim revealed a flaw in my ealier
e-mail.  They (rightfully so) pointed out that grid
squares often cover multiple political entities.  What
I failed to reveal about the strategy that I'm looking
into is this:  What if the scoring were grid *
QSO-point (like VHF contests and the Stew Perry
event), and we didn't really care about the country
(for *scoring* purposes), even though it was required
to be sent over the air (for operating legality)?

The question is this: Is there any downside to
truncating any "/" information from the callsign when
logging the QSO, if knowing the country that a station
is operating from is unimportant to the event scoring?

Ev, W2EV

PS. I'm asking on an HF list because these things tend
to be more complicated on HF than they are on VHF
(which is where my experience is).