Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contest Country Files - 23 October2005

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contest Country Files - 23 October2005
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:33:29 -0400
Dave K1TTT said:

>The log checkers will change the zone to 16 and rescore based on that.

So in other words the official rule is: log what they should have sent, not
what they actually did send. Well, then, can we use mind-reading to figure
out what they really meant to send? Oops, no, that would be against the
rules (non-amateur radio means of communication)!

I have always thought the exchange in CQ WW was a joke - now I am
convinced. The only people whose exchange actually matters are people in
the US, Alaska, Hawaii, and the US possessions (you know, KH2D in Florida
and K5K on Kingman Reef and that sort of thing), as well as anyone in VE2
(and VE8 and VY0), where there is more than one zone that cannot be
distinguished from the call sign.. Oh yes, and anyone in either JD1/m or
JD1/o. No-one else actually needs to send an exchange at all. No problem,
the exchange has nothing to do with the reasons for entering in this contest.

It's all just part of what makes contesting fun. Next weekend, those of us
in North America get to use an exchange at the opposite end of the spectrum
in the SS CW. The following weekend, we can all exchange QTCs madly in all
directions in the WAE RTTY. Isn't this a great hobby? Never a dull moment!

And Art, we will all be happy to work you this weekend no matter what zone
you are in, or what exchange you send, or what exchange the log checkers
decide you should have sent. None of us will be listening to your exchange
anyway, we will all just log what the computer tells us to log! ;-)

73,
Rich VE3IAY