Re: [CQ-Contest] The Perfect Contest

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Perfect Contest
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:55:05 -0700
At 09:35 PM 10/28/2005, Eric Hilding wrote:

>Rather, just get rid of the stinking bogus RS or RST in
>exchanges, because the last few hours confirmed what a total joke they
>are.  In fact, outright stupid.  Make that beyond stupid and a waste of
>on-air space.

There are two sides to this issue.

While I would like to eliminate the signal report too, there is one
good reason for it to be there and in all fairness it should be made known.

Because you know what it is and know it's coming, it gives you a few
milliseconds to adjust your hearing to what follows. When 599 on CW
or 59 on voice is heard, your ear becomes adapted to hear what
follows more easily and correctly. In a high speed, high pressure
situation this can be the difference between copying correctly and not.

Don't get me wrong - with everything considered, I'd prefer to not
have it. It's just that there is that one reason for it's being there
and some people really want it.

73, Bill W6WRT