Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation
From: "N5IET Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:21:24 -0600
Ok fellows here is my observation:

First let me say this:
If it wasn't the reason it could have been the reason
K1TTT has the call he does.

After a lot of frustration after this contest I thought a
lot about call letters and easily recognizable phonetics.

I am SERIOUSLY THINKING of changing my call.

My call:
N5IET (not too bad for CW)

Two issues one more than the other.

First of all after Japan finally work up and I was able to
work them on Sunday I could not understand if they had
repeated my call correctly because of their accents.

But more over and more important is the following:

During the contest the *only* letter I did not have to
repeat was the T using "Tango".

If I moved away from Tango they would miss it and I would
say Tango a couple of times and they would normally then
get it.

Most everyone got that.

 Most of the stations could eventually get the E "Echo"
But had to be repeated more than the Tango.

Here is the clincher:

Almost no stations (without repeating and sometimes a
number of repeats) except the ones I had a truly 599 or
probably no lower than a true 559 would get the I "India".

I used Italy India Indigo Indonesia Iran Iraq (thinking it
had a hard sound) but almost all stations unless they were
strong had to have it repeated, some quiet a few times.

Truth of the matter is I missed three very good
multipliers who all said "sorry can not copy at this time
try again later" because of the "I" in my call.

They got the rest of it but I could not fill in the "I" no
matter how many times I repeated it or what I said to try
and get it across.

I don't have an amp nor a beam and so my signals are not
all that strong most of the time with DX stations.

The ones I do contact seem to mostly have good receivers
such as Yaesu 1000's or Icom 756's or some other low noise
figure DSP enabled type or the band is quiet and it is
late at night.

I am not liking this call the more I actually use it in
crowed conditions and that mainly because of the "I".

 73 fer nw,
Bob N5IET

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

Tom McAlee
> Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 4:51 PM
> To: cq-contest@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation
>

> NT5C wrote:
> > Anyone else have that problem, or is it my poor
enunciation of my
> > native
> > language?
>
> Not with Tango, but I have a similar problem with India.
It
> gets picked up
> as Radio by many non-native-english-speaking operators.
I've
> found Italy
> works much better.
>
> Tom, NI1N

SSB Contest
> everyone  used
> >>  > ''Guatamalas,Londons and Japans''
> >
> > Yes but....
> >
> > I have serious problems with "Tango" in my callsign.
On tough QSOs,
> > it's  recognized as "Echo" at least 30% of the time.
So
> then I have to
> > repeat with Tokyo or Toronto - Tokyo seems to work
best.