Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice Keyer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice Keyer
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:00:03 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Jacob W Tennant wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had built a homebrew voice keyer using PIC's for
> the control chip?
>
> Have been looking into trying to make one myself but thought I would ask
> before I reinvented the wheel...
>
> Still hoarse from the CQ WW DX SSB contest ov er the weekend...
>
> Jacob Tennant - K8JWT

I got a data sheet in the mail recently from Dallas Semiconductor about
their MAXQ3120 microcontroller.  It says the following:

"Give a group of engineers an ADC, and someone will discover how to record
voice with it. But the MAXQ3120 can do much more than simply record sound.
Coupled with user-interface components and an inexpensive NAND flash
memory, the MAXQ3120 becomes the core of a full-featured voice recorder
system."

It then goes on to give some engineering details. This particular device
is MUCH faster than a PIC.

I think I am going to get one or two of these critters and experiment.

73, Zack W9SZ