Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice Keyer

To: Jacob W Tennant <k8jwt@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice Keyer
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:52:22 -0500
On Nov 4, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Jacob W Tennant wrote:

> Was just thinking about something simple for VHF contesting that
> wiuld run
> on a 9volt battery has on message with repeat that would work
> inline with
> the factory microphone so I could hit one button and it would
> repeat "cq
> contest this is k8jwt" every 5 seconds till I turn it off to reply to
> someone or the battery died.

I use something similar to this. It is a K1KP-style voice keyer. The
original K1KP keyer used a voice recording module from radio shack,
and actually ran the output across the microphone.

My design is a little more sophisticated than the original K1KP
design. I use an Op Amp mixer for the voice keyer and microphone, so
the output isn't feeding back into the microphone circuit. No repeat,
but it isn't hard to push the button every few seconds.

Sadly, the original voice recording module is no longer sold by radio
shack. Today, there may be other components that can be used, or you
might be able to wire something up from one of those voice picture
frames.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901