Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:51:07 -0600
I just got a really well done reproduction of the
1926 ARRL "The Radio Amateur's Handbook", subtitled
"A Manual of Amateur Short-Wave Radiotelegraphic Communication",
that certainly went beyond its subtitle,
since on page 156 in the Appendix is found:

"WORD LIST FOR ACCURATE TRANSMISSION OF SEPARATE CHARACTERS

When sending messages containing radio calls or initial that
are likely to be confused and where errors must be avoided,
the calls or initial should be thrown into the following
code words:

ABLE BOY CAST DOG EASY FOX HAVE ITEM GEORGE JIG KING LOVE
MIKE NAN OBOE PUP QUACK ROT SAIL TARE UNIT VICE WATCH
XRAY YOKE ZED

  EXAMPLE:  1BCG is sent as "ONE BOY CAST GEORGE" but
  put back into the first form by the operator who
  delivers the message.

A somewhat different list can be obtained from the local
Western Union telegraph office and posted beside the
telphone to use when telephoning messages containing
initials and difficult words.  The above list was made up
of short words to save TIME in radio transmission while
insuring accuracy. The W.U. list is best for voice work
(radiophone, telephone, or dictaphone) as the words are
selected to carry the proper SOUNDS best while delivering
messages by phone."

73

Barry, W5GN

Several hams noted my callsign-typo in my signature in
a previous post, and suggested my problem in my call not
being recoginzed was maybe obecause I also transmitted
on-the-air-callsign-typo's!