Re: [CQ-Contest] Mode Specificity [was: WW SSB]

To: 'cq-contest' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Mode Specificity [was: WW SSB]
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:21:45 -0800 (PST)
--- David Robbins K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net> wrote:

> Those
> who are more agile switching modes MAY score
> better, or could be distracted or lose time
> switching and score less.

And this is an important difference between HF and
VHF.  Thanks for pointing this out, Dave.  On VHF, one
simply switches modes, not frequency.  It's OK to be
engaged in an SSB contest-QSO on 144.210 and be
answered by a weak CW station, then keep going.

I think that such an occurance may be frowned upon in
the culture HF (what with the passionate commentary
around mode-based sub-bands).

On the other hand, imagine a time when you could be
contesting in the ARRL's 10-meter contest and the band
is "closed" (in parenthesis because that is a relative
term).  Since the event is band-specific, you can't
simply go to 40-meters and start a run.  Instead, you
activate on one of the digital (WSJT) meteor modes and
continue to log contacts!

Alas, that isn't allowed.  Although there are 9 entry
categories, none are allowed to use anything other
than SSB (voice) or CW (on-off telegraphy). :(

Ev, W2EV