Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R trick

To: "Paul T. Antos" <wb2abd@adelphia.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R trick
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:19:26 -0500
At 03:48 PM 11/11/2005, Paul T. Antos wrote:
>Sorry, I didn't get to op SS CW very much  this year ...
>
>Last year, I recall S&P-ing and coming across a nice strong CQ. I and a few
>others answered, only to hear that station sending another CQ in progress.
>Not that I'd be blowing holes in  the band, but I found it hard to believe
>that it happened , yet again. And, again! It dawned on me that this fella
>might be  SO2R,  and just cycling his CQ message to hold his frequency. I
>sez to myself, now thats a neat trick. Eventually, all four stations
>answering came to the same conclusion and stopped calling.
>
>Well, rate is rate, so I guess we all went on our merry way.  My rate drops,
>he lost 4 Q's at that point in time : doesn't seem effective unless he was
>running on the other frequency.
>
>I do SO1.5R, and more power to those that can do 2 radios.  Any thoughts on
>this practice?  Good , bad, ugly?
>
>Paul WB2ABD

Paul -- I think you just made my basic point for me.  SO2R practices tend to be
self-correcting.  If he missed 4 of you, he either wasn't a very good op or had
something wrong with his receiver on the run band, but either way, he came out
far behind where he would have been operating SO1R.

73, Pete N4ZR