Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics, back to basics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics, back to basics
From: "N7BF" <alan-ham@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:11:13 -0800
I am hoping that most of the people who are talking about using phonetics
that are suppposed to be amusing, are talking about using them mostly during
domestic contests, where the listeners are much more familiar with
"American" (to include Canadian) humor and the way of saying certain
sayings.

However, I noticed during CQWWSSB that many times when I would speak my call
to South American stations as November Seven Bravo Foxtrot, that they would
almost always come back as Norway Seven Boston Florida.  I think that
certain people whose native language is something else other than English
have found that they have problems enunciating certain words, and that other
acceptable phonetics are much easier to pronounce.  Also, as someone else
has pointed out, sometimes it's better to use phonetics including locations
that are familiar to them, as they get the point much quicker.  To someone
in South America, the word "Brazil" comes across very quickly, particularly
to someone who lives in that region.

I don't think I'd use "funny" phonetics during an International SSB contest,
there's too much room for confusion.

Alan - N7BF   (Big Foot) (Bull Frog)  and probably more that can be thought
up.