Re: [CQ-Contest] FW: What Software to use ????

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FW: What Software to use ????
From: Simon Pearson <lists+cq-contest@attenuate.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:49:57 +0000
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:35 -0000, Jose Valdes wrote:
> The Win-Test information at their site http://www.win-test.com/ looks
> promising but I have never heard any thing about it, I'm particularly
> interesting in the performance of Win-Test running in a P-IV computer
> with a Hyper Trading processor, MicroHAM's Micro keyer, and Yaesu's
> family of FT-1000MP radios, this combination didn't work well with
> N1MM because the link between N1MM and the microHAM USB Device Router
> was lost several times during the contest, up to the point on which I
> was forced to deactivate the CAT control on N1MM to prevent having to
> close and restart both N1MM and the USB device router to re-establish
> the link.

Win-Test is gaining popularity in the contesting fraternity,
particularly in Europe.  We used it for every contest in the past year
at G6PZ and haven't thought twice about the decision to do so.

At G6PZ we have a a Ten-Tec Orion & FT-1000MP MkV; never any issues with
either rig and Win-Test.  Cluster connectivity via telnet is also
excellent (and we actually run cluster connections on two separate
machines to two separate clusters so if one drops out we still receive
spots from the other).  We use COM CW keying and CW never stutters.

Whilst I never contest from home competitively (poor location/station),
I do have a Kenwood TS-450 and a MicroKeyer; I can confirm that
everything works just fine (CAT, CW keying, DVK etc).  Jozef OM7ZZ,
owner of MicroHAM, often works closely with the Win-Test developers so
everything works seamlessly.

I think that summarises Win-Test nicely; if you want any more
information, please feel free to email me directly.

--
Simon Pearson M0CLW
WWYC #452 | G6PZ CG