Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual Contesting

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual Contesting
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:24:19 -0800
I am sure there are many more like out out there, Ed.  It always makes
me wonder why the log checkers list unique calls logged (calls that may
appear in your own log but no others).  Sometimes a non contesting
friend may answer my CQ and tell me he is not in the contest but wants
to give me a point or two.  He is now an unique in my log.  Once I heard
a VU station signing off after a QSO and I called him and asked if I
could log him for a contest mult.  He said FB and gave me his signal
report.  Another unique.  I will admit I usually don't have many uniques
in my LCR's but just wonder why they are even counted.

sawyered@earthlink.net wrote:

>I must say that I am surprised by some comments about casual contesting.  I
>often times will be tuning the band on some random weekend and hear a contest
>going on EU, SA, Asia, State QSO party or whatever.  I VERY FREQUENTLY will
>join in for half an hour or more.  Sometimes make 20 - 50 QSOs.  I often don't
>know the rules but pick up the exchange by listening in to a few QSOs.  If its
>serial, that's what they get, zone, state, age, whatever.
>
>I have NEVER sent in a log in those interludes.  Have NO IDEA if there is a
>power limitiation or anything else.  Don't care, I am not submitting a log and
>therefore am beholden to no-one but the FCC and good gentlemanly and ethical
>practice of radio operating.  I always felt that I was returning the favor of
>the many who do the same for me, I am sure, as I work WPX or IARU or whatever.
> Still do, despite some of these comments.
>
>I never felt that 20 - 50 Qs was enough to be material to the contest and
>therefore did not feel compelled to send in a log.
>
>I can't think that I am alone in these practices nor do I feel there is
>anything wrong with it but instead increases the enjoyment of the serious ones
>that I contact.
>
>73
>
>Ed  N1UR  (feel free to contact me in ANY contest you hear me in.  Log
>submittal optional.)

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com