[RTTY] Narrow RTTY

To: "RTTY List" <rtty@contesting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Narrow RTTY
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:15:33 -0800
Just had a long chat with W7AY on 7085 using very narrow RTTY. We
started out with 170 Hz shift and then went to 23 Hz. I transmitted a
canned macro (the word TEST repeated 36 times) at 100 watts, then ten
watts then one watt, using both shifts at each power level.

Preliminary observation was almost no difference in copy quality. We
are about 1000 miles apart so there was no polar flutter or other
nasty propagation, just some normal deep fades.

We want to repeat the tests tomorrow during the day when signals
should be a bit weaker. Anyone want to join in? You need to be able
to change your shift to 23 Hz, easy to do on RX with MMTTY but may be
a bit more difficult if you're using FSK. I have a Mark V FT-1000MP
and it is easy once you know how. Will be glad to explain if needed.

73, Bill W6WRT