Re: [CQ-Contest] Survey Results - Contest Software

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Survey Results - Contest Software
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:30:01 -0500
On Jan 17, 2006, at 6:06 PM, Milt Jensen wrote:

>>> John, NT5C, wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmmm. As an interested non-contesting observer, I have a
>>> question. Why
> would contesters be willing to spend thousands - or tens of
> thousands - of
> dollars to build a >great station, and then worry about whether the
> software
> to maximize the performance of that station is free or costs $75?
> Doesn't
> sound like very logical system >engineering to me.
>
> K1TN replied:
>
>> Bravo. This is a good question, a legitimate question.
>>
>> But, apparently, you never have tried to earn a living, or even
>> pocket
> change, selling *anything* to hams.
>>
>> J. Cain, K1TN
>
> Milt, N5IA commented.
>
> It is the age old decision to be made: Cost vs Performance.  IF,
> and that is
> a big IF, there were enhanced performance capabilites to be had by
> paying
> "bucks", then it would happen.

        The original assumption is that software that you pay for is better
than software that you do not pay for. That isn't quite correct.

        Many Hams are also programmers, and write fine software. They
consider the free distribution of that software as a way of "giving
back" to the Ham community. KA3JWE's PAQSO party software is
excellent and free, just as one example.

The few titles I have bought are Numorse, and another was a logging
program. Numorse was good, and the logging program didn't seem very
capable to me.

        - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -