Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>,"'John Geiger'" <ne0p@lcisp.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??
From: "Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:05:55 -0500
Rules have to be measureable and enforceable and trying to specify a gain
limitation would be anything but that IMHO...  How would you calculate
ground losses, odd configurations due to space limitations, ground
reflections, etc?  There would be all sorts of excuses made to justify
estimated gain calculations.  Totally unenforceable and way too abstract.

The good thing about limiting space, height and basic antenna design is that
its fairly clearcut what you can and cannot do...I also dont think its a bad
idea to allow some creativity in the antenna design as long as it's
something that's relatively inexpensive and easy for anyone to duplicate
given limited space and money.

If you want to create a totally spec class, it should be a single all-band
ground-mounted vertical class with a height limit of say 25 feet and a
limited radial number and length.

Of course you still have geographical differences, so...

All of these classes should be limited to 100 watts output power, at least
initially.  Amps are fairly expensive and many people cant run them because
of RFI complaints, etc.

Ty K3MM

  _____