[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX, Canadian multipliers - Conclusion

To: CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX, Canadian multipliers - Conclusion
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:06:04 -0600
RIC-2 section 9.1 states "The operator of an amateur station
in Canada shall identify the station by transmitting the
call sign assigned to that station."  There is no mention of
a requirement to sign / (portable) when operating outside
the assigned call area.
In a private email, the requirement to sign / (portable)
when outside of your home call district, was removed from
the regulations some time ago.  Based on this information,
the original posting is in error.
For example, a VE4, MB, station operating in say VE5, SK,
DOES NOT have to sign VE4/5.  A VE4 station is not
automatically operating from MB.  You still need to listen
for the section.
The original post needs to be placed in the 'internet
misinformation' file.  It would be nice if people took time
to separate fact from opinion...but we all make mistakes.

Doug/VA5DX

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX, Canadian multipliers

Can anyone quote the Industry Canada policy (i.e. Radio
Information Circular RIC-2,3,9, etc.) that states a Canadian
amateur must identify with a / (portable)if operating from a
different call area than what his/her prefix indicates?

Doug/VA5DX

One thing that became apparent in many QSOs this weekend,
though, is that some of you may be under the impression that
Canadian prefixes don't indicate geography. This is not
true. Unlike the U.S., we must still identify if we are
outside of our home call area. So if you know VE4 is
Manitoba, and work a VE4 with no portable suffix, he's in
Manitoba.

73, kelly
ve4xt

Date: 2/17/2006