Re: [CQ-Contest] KVM Switch

To: <PaulKB8N@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KVM Switch
From: "J. Edward Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:40:27 -0800
I just installed a two-port KVM cable (IO Gear brand) on two of my shack
computers.  It has worked flawlessly so far with no apparent RFI problems.
I only use it to swap a single keyboard and trackball between two networked
computers, each dedicated to a radio.  I use two side-by-side 19" LCD
monitors, one on each computer.

I'm not yet convinced that KVM swapping the keyboard/mouse between two
networked computers for SO2R is practical in contesting.  The problem is
having to double-tap the Scroll key to swap between computers.  One more
distraction during the contest.  And it prohibits typing on both keyboards
simultaneously.

The alternative is to use two mini-keyboards ... the ones without the number
pad on the right.  Two of them almost fit the space of a normal keyboard and
the quality is pretty good.  Still an issue with where to conveniently
locate the mouse/trackball.  In the past, I've arranged the two
keyboard-mouse pairs one in front of the other, perhaps skewed sideways a
bit to help me remember which goes with which radio and monitor.  But, no
matter how you arrange them, it is not as convenient as dealing with one
keyboard-mouse always in the same place ... and, ergonomically located to
reduce fatigue and injury.

73,
Ed - W0YK