Re: [CQ-Contest] KVM Switch

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KVM Switch
From: "Paul B. Peters, VE7BZ" <ve7avv@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:54:40 -0800
During my recent major renovation to the shack, I installed a KVM switch. I
bought the unit off eBay -- it's called a "PROTEC - Bytelan keyboard - video
mouse switch". I know the units are no longer made, but the boxes are heavy
gauge metal and unlike anything on the market today. I believe they are from
commercial network service. Expect to pay between $5 and $25 each -- I
bought two of them. In turn it cost me almost three times that much to buy
all the cables. The back panel allows for either 5-pin or PS2 style
keyboards or mice. All you need is 12v to run them.

There are two versions of this 4-port KVM. One that is best described as
manual in that you have to toggle through the 4 available computers. There
more desirable version (and harder to find) is one that allows you to simply
push the button for the computer you want to select. I have had no RFI
related problems whatsoever. I did however notice the unit does not like USB
to serial mouse adapters -- so you really need to use an older wheel mouse
that has a PS2 connector.

Go to ebay and do search for Protec  -- there are usually lots of them
offered.

73 de Paul, VE7BZ
StoneyGround Station