Re: [CQ-Contest] CT and 7QP?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CT and 7QP?
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:50:07 -0400
At 02:10 PM 4/30/2006, N7MAL wrote:
>W7 stations are not required to log the county name because there are no extra
>points for W7's to work W7 counties. W7's only get State credit.

I sure hope that isn't true.   In a contest, a completed exchange means that
both stations copy the callsigns and the full exchange.  Contesters should
never assume it isn't necessary to copy part of the exchange.     In the ARRL
DX contest, USA stations copy power, that isn't part of the multiplier.  In the
NAQP and Sprint contests, among other things, you copy the name, but it isn't
part of the multiplier, in most contests you copy the signal report, that isn't
used in the multiplier.

Contest sponsors check logs in lots of ways.  Sometimes they don't check them
much at all, and just publish the scores.  Some just check the callsigns, some
pull out duplicates, some check exchanges including the signal report, etc.
They may check different things in different years as new or different people
have the log checking responsibility.   What gets checked is also somewhat
dependent upon what gets commonly screwed up by those in the contest.  If
packet cheating appears to be influencing scores, that may be checked a lot
closer the next year.

The best contest sponsors do a combination of all of the things I listed above,
many do even more.

To presume that stations in the 7th call area do not have to copy the
state/county of others in W7 is not a good plan unless the sponsors have
specifically said it isn't required - in a quick look I didn't see it, and I
sure hope that isn't their intent.    In the New England QSO Party W1's do have
to copy the state/county of other W1's (and that isn't 100% supported by some
entrants, but that's how it works).

Just remember that in a contest you copy the call and full exchange and make a
really good effort to get it all correct, or don't log it at all (and log it on
the right band and mode).   Strive for 100%.

               -- Tom/K1KI