Re: [CQ-Contest] Vee Beams

To: duncan@mscvalencia.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Vee Beams
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 16:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
Duncan,  I have used a number of vee beams, both terminated and unterminated.
Usually fed with open wire line.  Personally, I would not suggest using them
for contesting unless you live in an area like Asia or the South Pacific where
there might be a fairly narrow beam heading path to the contest multitudes.
For EU, I don't think that he would be happy.  The beamwidth for really good
gain (ie 3 - 5 wavelength legs) is just too narrow.  You WILL BE LOUD but only
to some people.  Unless of course you can set up a 6 - 10 points of the compass
vee beam array, which is one whale of an undertaking.

I would suggest wire yagiis in a couple of strategic directions.  Long
(effective) boom length wire yagiis will give excellent gain with much broader
beam width and are cheap to put up.

Also, take a look at the points of the compass to US, Asia, Pacific, and
Africa.  Possibly a long wire will work which would have 2 lobes rather than
one like the vee beam.

Ed  N1UR