[CQ-Contest] Mobile contesting - not permitted?

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Mobile contesting - not permitted?
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 07 May 2006 10:14:30 -0500
I enjoyed the current May/June 2006 issue of NCJ on mobile contesting.
However...  it would seem that in ARRL contests* and the CQ WW, mobile
contesting is **not allowed**.

I cite ARRL General Rule #3.7 which states:
"3.7.All transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter
diameter circle, excluding antennas."

A similar rule exists for CQ WW.

Many operators (myself included) have interpreted this rule as meaning
all transmitters and receivers must be within a 500m circle *at any
given instant*, but that the location of that 500m circle may change
during the contest.  I have since learned that is *not* the official
interpretation.**

Mobile operation has become easier over the last decade or two, and I'm
hearing more mobiles on the HF bands.  It does seem counterproductive to
ban them from submitting contest entries.  I wonder, if it's time to
modify Rule 3.7 (and the similar CQ WW rule) to acommodate mobiles?

(it may be worthy of note that the NAQP rules specifically allow for
mobiles and the Sprint rules are silent on the subject)

--------------------------

* except for rovers in VHF contests

** an attempted rover operation in the January VHF contest was
reclassified as a checklog.  Due to poor conditions and a vertical-only
antenna I only succeeded in making contacts from one grid - and thus
didn't qualify as a rover - but because my station moved more than 500m
during the contest without being a rover, I was in violation of rule
3.7.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66