Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000D

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000D
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:40:00 -0400
At 01:54 PM 5/12/2006, AD5VJ  Bob wrote:
>Is the FT-1000D the only rig that has true dual receive or does the
>FT-1000MP and FT-1000MPMKV also have this?

Bob,

I am an FT-1000D owner and can report that the radio indeed has true dual
receive.  By this I mean it can simultaneously receive on two different
bands, with two different modes if necessary.  It has two sets of IF
filters; an elaborate set for the main rcvr and a simpler set for the
sub-receiver.  This indicates that the two receiver sections are not equal.

I own other radios that can do what N7MAL describes - receive on two
frequencies in the same band.  The FT-1000MP has two separate IF filter
sets, so the two signals can be on two different modes.

I'm pretty sure the radios with only one IF chain (for example, my original
series IC-756 not Pro) must use the same bandwidth for both signals.

The FT-1000 can be made into a FT-1000D with a add-in front-end filter module.

When talking about FT-1000s, you have to pay close attention to the model
number suffixes to clearly understand the differences.

The FT-1000D is what comes into most people's minds when talking about
"true dual receive".  I'm not sure, but I think the Ten-Tec Orion does this
as well.  Some people look to dual receive to do SO2R (single-op,
two-radio) with one radio.  However, this requires the capability to listen
on the second, or sub receiver while the transceiver is transmitting, which
the FT-1000D won't do.

Dave/K8CC