Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

To: "Michael Keane K1MK" <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>,"W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results
From: "Richard DiDonna NN3W" <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:00:14 -0400
Very interesting points made by Mike.  The League and its publication is
supposed to be reponsive to its membership.  Clearly, the membership felt
that the utilization of 5 or 6 pages of numbers which did little to nothing
for them was of value, and the League agreed on the point.  The decision was
probably made easier by the fact that not only are contesters quite savy
(i.e., able to look at scores on the web), but also able to discuss in depth
topics in an entire publication dedicated to contesting - NCJ.

Now, somebody has mentioned that the Contesters rate sheet has 10,000 or
14,000 subscribers.  True, but bear in mind that this is not only a free
publication, but is probably one in which not a small number of league
members just clicked on the "yes, send to me tab" on basically every free
publication that the league offers.

Combining this data with the number of subscribers to NCJ and the number of
logs that we see in most contest, I would guess that the active contesting
population in the United States is in the range of 5,000 - 7,000 (inclusive
of VHFers, and HFers).

As a percentage of League members, that is probably about 3 percent.
Looking at this month's QST, there were about 89 pages of the publication
devoted to articles, correspondence, and the like.  Of those 89 pages,
contesting got 8 of them.

In light of the readership feedback, the existence of NCJ, and membership
ranks comprised of contesters, having 9 percent of the magazine devoted to
contesting is probably reasonable.

Hope you all are having fun in Dayton!

73 Rich NN3W